When is Flood Insurance Required in Texas?

It’s hard to watch the news during the wet season without seeing signs of flooding and subsequent property destruction. Insurance is the only way to protect your belongings in the event of a flood. One of the main things to remember is that flood insurance isn’t included in your regular homeowner’s policy. If you live in a flood zone, you are required to carry flood insurance, but there are lots of times you’ll want it even if it isn’t required. Check out the following information from Whiteside Insurance Agency, LLC in Spicewood, TX.

Texas Flood Insurance Laws

To protect your home and belongings from losses due to floods, you have to get separate flood insurance policy. For properties in a flood hazard area, lenders require flood insurance. FEMA has maps available to show where these hazard areas are located. The National Flood Insurance Program provides most flood insurance policies. Although, some private insurers sell flood insurance.
To purchase an NFIP flood policy in Spicewood, TX, call Whiteside Insurance Agency to help determine if your home is in a flood zone. Even if you don’t live in a hazard zone, buying flood insurance can give you peace of mind with an ever-changing environment. A large percentage of flood claims happen outside of a flood zone. Call Whiteside Insurance Agency, LLC to purchase flood insurance in Spicewood, TX.

Additional Requirements

If you have constructed, remodeled, or enlarged your property after September 1, 2009, and any part of your lot is in a flood zone defined by NFIP, you are required to purchase flood insurance. The requirement is relaxed only if no flood coverage is available in your area. Repair includes reconstruction or restoration of a deteriorating building on your property.

Final Word

Ask your Whiteside Insurance Agency, LLC agent if flood insurance can protect your Spicewood, TX home. Call today to set up an appointment for a quote.